We never thought we’d ever refer to frosted tips as cool, post-2002 anyway, until Wah Nails served up their festive icicle manicure for the holidays. London’s hottest nail salon, which just opened a new outpost in the trendy Soho neighborhood, teamed up with us to create some non-cheesy holiday nail art that’s equal parts chic and user-friendly. Break out your nail polish arsenal and check out how it’s done in the video below, along with step-by-step instructions on how to nail the effect. Queen Elsa would be proud.
RELATED: The Prettiest Nail Polish Color You Aren’t Wearing Yet
RELATED: Nail Your Birthstone-Inspired Mani With These Lacquers
- Begin with a layer of your favorite base coat, and allow it to dry completely.
- Follow with two even coats of a navy nail color like Wah’s Woad and Go Matte Effect Nail Polish ($12; wah-london.com). Make sure the lacquer dries completely before moving on—a pretty easy task since the matte texture indicates that it’s ready.
- Take a silver or holographic glitter polish like Wah’s Schrager’s Touch ($12; wah-london.com) and drag the brush from mid-nail to tip, creating an ombre effect.
- Arm yourself with either a nail striping polish, nail art pen, or fine-tipped brush dipped in white lacquer to start painting on the icicles. Use your tool to draw on varied squiggles, and fill in as you see fit. For the tutorial, the Wah White Nail Art Pen ($9; wah-london.com), which houses a super-fine striping brush inside, was used.
- Allow the design to dry before once again lacquering the glitter over just the icicle portion of the design, keeping the rest of the nail matte. While the polish is still wet, press as many or as few crystals into the tips.
- Clean up any excess lacquer that may have made contact with your cuticles, get your mani in position, and snap photos to your heart’s content.